Wednesday, 21 August 2013

13 Song Playlist

Start time: 1: 34 PM *I'm listening to each song as I write about it*

I just got a beautiful little challenge from one of my good friends and it was music related so how could I say no!? This was pretty difficult. Basically, it's the 13 songs of your life sort of thing and explain the significance of it or how it represents you. I chose the songs at the top of my head because if I looked through my albums I'd have such a difficult time. So here you go! (Ps, I also attached a favourite little line from the song)


1. Go Do by Jonsi, this song reminds how short our lives are and how we should just take every chance to GO DO something with it. Scream at the top of our lungs, run until we're out of breath, fall in love, travel, grow, experience." Go sing too loud, make your voice break, sing it out! Go scream, do shout, make an earthquaaake"

2. Home by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, this song tells me that home is not a place, but it is the people we cherish and who cherish us. The things that make us feel like home are attached to thoughts of the people that are special to us or make us feel a certain way or bring up memories. Invest your time and love in people, not material things. "Home is whenever I'm with you"

3. Sweet Disposition by Temper Trap, this song puts me in a trance of pure relaxation, I swear. I like how it makes me feel the good in life without even having to think of it. You just sit back, feel the music and breathe. "So stay there cause I'll be coming over, and while our blood's still young, it runs, we won't stop til it's over, won't stop to surrender"

4. Give Me Love (Layered) by Ed Sheeran, Ed Sheeran has been a favourite for a while now. He shows that great things can come in small packages (and I hope you're not thinking with a dirty mind). It's one of the most calming songs that build up to such a huge moment of emotion and I feel stress get released from my bloodstream and it's just such an amazing song! It's okay to love someone that you may never end up being with. I love him to bits. "And that I'll fight my corner, maybe tonight I'll call ya, after my blood is drowning in alcohol"

5. On My Own by Samantha Barks (Les Miserables), Oh my! I love this song oh so dearly. It's such a heartbreaking song with so much emotion. Whenever I'm feeling down or heartbroken or feeling lonely, I usually listen to this song because of my favourite line: "I love him, but everyday I'm learning." Another day of ache is just another day of getting stronger!

6. Transatlanticism by Death Cab for Cutie, My playlist is filled with such sad songs, but I love them so much. Especially this one because I love the buildup of the instrumentals and it just relaxes me. I read some post about what the title could mean and it really got to me! "Transatlantic means to go across the Atlantic, while 'cism' would mean belief in something. So what I think it means it he believes in something that is worth going across the Atlantic for. The song itself talks about going to find someone that needs to be 'so much closer'. The whole album is about finding and losing love." "I need you so much closer.."

7. Let Her Go by Passenger, Oh look, another melancholic song, what a surprise, oh my. To be honest, songs teach me more lessons about life than probably anything or anybody else. I'm not sure if that's a good thing, but this one taught me how we all need one thing when the other is gone. "You only know your lover when you let her go". You gotta appreciate things when you have, the way you have. It may be the best thing that someone has given to you or the best people are trying to be for you. We shouldn't expect more than what is given to us, or expect anything at all. When it comes down to it and those things and people disappear in our lives, we realize we needed them more than ever.

8. Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want by The Smiths, I might as well call this post the 13 songs of sadness. I'm not sure why this song made it on to my playlist but I had this gut feeling it needed to be there. It makes me think of all the people in the world that almost never get it their way, even when it comes to the simplest things, but knowing how far they've made it kind of amazes me "So for once in my live, let me get what I want, Lord knows, it would be the first time."

9. Gravity by Sara Bareilles, Accept the inevitable. Change what you can change. Don't be sorry for the inevitable. Especially heart break and the conditions and states people are in. Not all these situations will last forever, but if they do, make it the best forever. As for temporary ache, experience it as much as you can so you will learn to avoid it the next time. "Set me free, leave me be, I don't wanna fall another moment into your gravity."

10. Can't Help Falling in Love by Elvis, I just needed a little Elvis on here. I love me some Elvis. I also listen to this song when I'm reading my Elvis biography book, hehe. "Take my hand, take my whole life too."

11. Such Great Heights by Iron & Wine, This song makes me feel like I'm literally on top of the world looking at things at such great heights. It reminds me to look at the bigger picture of things, especially when it comes to difficult times in life. Most of the time, we, as humans, focus on that little paint splatter in the corner of a beautiful art piece instead of admiring what is actually there for us to see and appreciate. Does that make sense? Sometimes we just need to take a little break, and let our minds sit and think about how fortunate we are in our lives. 

12. Just Like Heaven by The Cure, This song makes me think, I'm not sure why. But I adore songs that make me think and enjoy it at the same time and not go crazy with the over thinking. "And threw her arms around my neck 'Show me how you do it, and I promise you, I promise that I'll run away with you'" I like fantasizing about cute little scenarios to this song too.

13. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas by Judy Garland, I had to! I had to put in a Christmas song. I usually listen to this song when I need an extreme pick me up. It makes me feel warm and cozy like I'm by the fire place watching twinkling lights by the window and seeing the different Christmas decorations. Reflections in ornaments, putting the star upon the tree. Snow ball fights, rolling down hills, ice skating, naked trees, blankets, knitted sweaters, hot chocolate, and smiles galore. Goodness, I'm so excited for Christmas. I wait for it all year round. Everything is good, everything is grand, everything is full of heart and love and happiness and thanksgiving and smooches and hugs and warmth and...good. "Let your heart be light, from now on, our troubles will be out of sight..."

<3 Little Mer

End time: 3:11PM

No comments:

Post a Comment